This extremely simple basil tomato sauce has many uses. I often use it with smoked, pulled pork as a bar-b-que sauce or on gluten-free pasta, or as a substitute for ketchup. Our grandchildren love it. SCD and LowFODMAP🍏🍏🍏🍏
Basil Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup mint leaves fresh, finely chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup basil leaves fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice freshly squeezed from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/16 tsp black pepper optional
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Stir in oil, mint, basil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer at least 15 to 20 minutes or until you like the consistency. Remove from heat.