My bride was born and raised in Bavaria. Our family loves Bavarian red cabbage. I’ve adapted her recipe with just the right ratio of ingredients to make it just like hers! The key is using red wine vinegar. This combination is classic.
Bavarian Red Cabbage (SCD)
- Crock Pot
- 1 tart apple Peeled (reduced fiber), cored and quartered. Granny Smith are good.
- 1 onion small onion spiked with cloves
- 1 head red cabbage washed, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water Hot
- 2 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar Or Apple cider Vinegar with Mother
- 4 tbsp butter or 6 tbsp bacon drippings not SCD
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- Cut the cabbage into four wedges, remove the core, and slice thinly.
- Peel onion and spike sides and top with cloves. Please in center of crock pot.
- Core the apple and cut into wedges and place on bottom of crock pot surrounding.onion.
- Place the sliced cabbage in the crock pot.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- In a bowl, combine the hot water, sugar, vinegar, and bacon drippings(optional); pour over cabbage mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Reduce heat to low and add raspberry and stir in well. Cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. May continue to cook as long as you like for your taste. It just gets better
- Stir well before serving warm. May be refrigerated over night if there is any left!