Best seafood from Maine
Blackened Gulf of Maine Redfish
Calories: 635kcalPrint Recipe
- 12 oz Redfish Sea to Table Gulf of Maine
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter European style melted and preferably clarified*
Blackening Spice mix
- 1 tbsp Sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- Defrost the fish in the refrigerator then pat it completely dry.
- Clarify your butter and place in a shallow bowl/dish. See Notes
- Mix all the spices together in a separate bowl.
- Dip both sides of the fish into the clarified butter and place on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray.
- Dust each butter drenched filet generously on both sides with spice mixture, pressing spices into fish.
- Pour remaining butter into a small bowl for serving.
- Heat a pan over high heat until it is extremely hot.
- Place 1-2 fillets in the pan, skin side up. Cook for 3 minutes then gently flip the fish over and cook for an additional 3 minutes. You’re looking for a dark, crusty char on each side.
- Serve hot with sides.
*Clarified butter can tolerate high heat much better than simply melted butter. To clarify butter you skim milk solids off the top of melted butter and leave released water in the bottom of the pan. The liquid gold in the middle is 100% pure butterfat! 1. Melt butter over low heat, make sure it does not boil. Skim off the foamy milk solids that rise to the top. 2. Ladle the butterfat from the saucepan into a clean vessel. 3. Be sure to leave the water in the bottom of the original saucepan (it will look like a white, milky substance).
Calories: 635kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 31g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 231mg | Sodium: 1301mg | Potassium: 621mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3661IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 3mg