As I remember them, they were light and airey.
- Box grater
- Biscuit cutter
- 250 g all-purpose flour 2 c
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 85 g unsalted butter 6 T, unsalted European butter is ideal, but not required. very cold
- ¾ c whole milk 177ml buttermilk or 2% milk will also work
- For best results, cut butter into small pieces (see note) and chill your butter in the freezer for 10-20 minutes before beginning this recipe. It's ideal that the butter is very cold for light, flaky, buttery biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a cookie sheet with nonstick parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Remove your butter from the freezer and cut it into your flour mixture using a pastry cutter
- Combine the grated butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk, use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until combined (don't over-work the dough).
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and use your hands to gently work the dough together.
- Once the dough is cohesive, fold in half over itself and use your hands to gently flatten layers together. Rotate the dough 90 degrees and fold in half again, repeating this step 5-6 times gently, do not overwork the dough.
- Use your hands (do not use a rolling pin) to flatten the dough to 1" thick and lightly dust a 2 ¾" round biscuit cutter with flour
- Press the biscuit cutter straight down into the dough and drop the biscuit onto the baking sheet. Use a smaller cutter on remaining dough to make button bisquits.
- Repeat until you have gotten as many biscuits as possible and place less than ½" apart on baking sheet.
- Once you have gotten as many biscuits as possible out of the dough, gently re-work the dough to get out another biscuit or two
- Bake on 425F for 12 minutes or until tops are beginning to just turn lightly golden brown.
- If desired, brush with melted salted butter immediately after removing from oven. Serve warm and enjoy
Icut the butter stick into quarters lengthwise and then cut little squares into a bowl nd freeze these for 30 minutes.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 403mg | Potassium: 296mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 2mg