A simple Soda Bread Without Buttermilk recipe.
Soda Bread Without Buttermilk
Love soda bread but have no buttermilk? This simple recipe for soda bread without buttermilk is the solution. Easy to make, and tastes absolutely delicious!Print Recipe
- 2 tbls white vinegar
- 2 c milk approximately
- 4 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Add the vinegar to 2 cup or larger measuring vessel. Add enough milk to equal a total 2 cups of liquid. Let sit for a minute while you prep the dry ingredients.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Make a well in the center and pour in the soured milk. Mix lightly with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Lightly flour a surface. Tip the dough onto the floured surface, then flour your hands. Gently knead the dough a couple of times, for about 20 seconds. Use a large, sharp knife to cut the dough in two equal pieces.
- Gently shape the pieces into round loaves, flattening slightly on top. Use your knife to cut a deep cross into the top of each loaf.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack before serving.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 262mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 49IU | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg