Easy Tofu pressing guide: If you like Tofu you know it needs some preparation, especially pressing out the excess water to make it accept your flavoring. But don’t let that discourage you, it’s really not complicated.
Tofu needs to be "pressed."
- 1 lbs tofu
- Slice open a package of water-packed tofu (not the silken kind) and drain the water.
- Cut the block of tofu width-wise into however many slices you want — four or six should do it.
- Lay a dish towel on a cookie sheet or tray; place some paper towels on top of that.
- Spread the slices of tofu out in a single layer on top of the towels. Put more paper towels and another dish towel on top of that.
- Set some heavy objects on top. I usually put another cookie sheet on top, and a full gallon water bottle.
- Leave it alone for at least 30 minutes, but preferably a couple of78 hours.
- Uncover; leave as "tofu steaks" or cut into cubes, marinate and cook according to your recipe!