Tourtière is a traditional and iconic dish since the Second World War, and it has undergone several metamorphoses according to the culinary history. This is my SCD version of this dish my family serves during the Christmas season.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 lb lean pork
- 2 lb chuck
- 1 1 /2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 1/4 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 3 c onion 2 large, chopped ~36 oz
- 1/4 c cooking sherry
- 30 oz cauliflower florets 1 large 7"
- 4 almond pie crust use the unsweetened almond pie crust
- Using large pot, melt butter then add everything EXCEPT sherry and cauliflower.
- Cover and simmer, stirring from time to time to avoid sticking for 3 hours.
- Add cooking sherry to the large pot and continue simmering until the cauliflower is ready.
- After adding the sherry to the large pot, boil the cauliflower until soft, then mash.
- Drain off excess liquid/fat from the large pot.
- Add cauliflower, mixing thoroughly.
- Distribute evenly in 4 8"pie shells.
- Bake each pie at 425 F for 10 minutes then for 30 minutes at 350 F.Serve hot.