Pecan pie is finnicky. Sometimes when you cooking at the right temperature long enough to set the filling, the crust burns.
Fortunately, the fix is simple. It’s called a pie crust shield.
- Cut a square of aluminum foil around three or four inches wider than your pie.
- Fold it in half, and then in half again, so it is one-quarter the size of the original.
- About three or four inches from the point (the corner with folds, no edges), cut out a quarter-circle with scissors.
- Unfold. You should have a 6-8″ circle in the center of your aluminum foil square.
- Place this over the pie and fold down around the edges. This will protect your crust while the pie bakes. Remove it for about the last fifteen minutes of baking.